The author of the summer palace with romantic design for the family of lieutenant general Anatoli Orlov-Davõdov was Robert Gödicke – the professor of Russian Academy of Arts in Saint Petersburg. After Estonia had gained its independence, the imposing building became the summerhouse for the Dutch Consul; in 1930s restaurant “Riviera Palace” was opened here.
From 1937 for a longer period, the complex was used by the army and afterwards as a dwelling until finally, due to the establishment of the memorial nearby, it was decided to turn it into the Museum of Revolution Victory, War Hero and Friendship of People.
In time the museum was modified into the filial branch of the history museum focusing on contemporary history. Despite of the recurrent reconstructions, the architectural image created by KOKO architects emphasizes the whole and the plurality of its (different) layers. In order to enjoy the views, make sure to visit the tower.
Guided tours on Saturday and Sunday at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30 and 4:30 pm. Meeting in the foyer.