After the birth of Estonian Republic there were several enterprises operating on the colossal grounds of the former Bekker shipyard. One of the most outstanding of them was Põhjala rubber industry which was founded in 1924 and successfully carried on also during the Soviet period. In 1939 the enterprise of engineer Harri Feldmann produced 1200-1400 pairs of footwear daily, plus bicycle tires and rubber details for gas masks; in 1978 it had reached to 1.9 million pairs of footwear per day. Currently the area is being enliven with miscellaneous cultural events. The old buildings will be gradually partially adjusted for living and working.
Guided tours on Saturday and Sunday at 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 pm. Meeting in front of Marati 5 – by the main entrance of the administrative building of the former Põhjala rubber industry.