Originally built of wooden trusses, the lighthouse with a red body and a green roof was completed in 1835. The purpose of the tower is to guide ships arriving in Tallinn safely to the port.
After several expansions and repairs, in 1896 it was decided to build a new weatherproof limestone plastered tower, the 40m body of which was once again painted red. In 1901, a generator building was completed, which enabled the use of electric light for the operation of the lighthouse. Today, the light runs on a LED system, which burns around the clock with a cycle of 5 quick flashes, after which the light is extinguished for 1.9 seconds.
By 1914, the lower part of the lighthouse was painted white, while the upper part was painted black. As such, the exterior has been preserved to this day.
Of the service buildings, a residence, a sauna and a cellar were built in the second half of the 19th century.
At the beginning of the 20th century was built a machine room, a residence for machinists and a gas factory, while a residence and workshop were built in the second half of the 20th century.
Meeting point: Base of the lighthouse.
Tour: The lighthouse with a viewing platform.